Thursday, June 21, 2007

Week 3, thing 7

To do a post about anything technology related.

Well, the pirate-librarian loves technology. Even if I don't always understand it right away, I enjoy playing around with it. Of course, the best way to start off learning anything new is to RFM as techie friends of mine say. That's read the frelling manual...

what??!

Did ye think I'd be stupid enough to use a naughty word on something I know library administrators could read? Not to mention me own dear forever-young muther would read? (hi mom!) ;)

Anyways, on to my technology related post... the pirate-librarian enjoys many things: ICQ for online chats with one of me best friends. (Cheaper than having to count minutes of cell phone time or worry about a long distance telephone bill!)

Another best friend of mine and I play a muliplayer online game, and a dead-on useful program for that is TeamSpeak . (similar programs include Ventrilo , Mumble , and Roger Wilco ) Basically its a program that allows voice chats over the internet (using a headset and microphone) -- and leaving the players hands free to manuver our characters, etc. I know I was hesitant to get setup with this program -- but it definitely beats trying to type what you're telling your teammates AND trying to fight the bad guys! YAR!

Also for thing #7, we're supposed to leave a comment on someone else's blog because "That's what online communities are all about - connecting and communication." (from http://marylandlibrarieslearningacts.blogspot.com/2007/01/7-create-blog-post-about-anything.html ) I will do that - leave a comment, but am I the only one that thinks it seems a bit artificial to require folks to 'connect'. Its not real connection if you feel compelled to leave a comment...... ;) No disrespect meant, mates!

No comments: