Tuesday, August 7, 2007

#14 Discover Technorati and learn how tags work with blogs

Technorati Profile


Discovery Exercise:
1. Take a look at Technorati and try doing a keyword search for “Learning 2.0” in Blog posts, in tags and in the Blog Directory. Are the results different? yes, they were. Keyword in blog posts returned anything with "learning" or "2.0" in the posts... Blog directory seemed a bit more specific, and searching tags the most specific/accurate results.

2. Explore top favorited blog, top searches and top blogs. Is anything interesting or surprising?

One of the top favorited blogs that intrigued me was "Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done." I just looked at a few posts, like on the shelf life of common food items...and decluttering - which is something I struggle with in my own home. I can see why it has been favorited by quite a few people. Top searches just seemed to be common keyword searches...nothing too interesting or surprising to me. WTF is one category you can click on..and to be honest I thought it stood for something much naughtier than it did... (heheh.. okay, so maybe the pirate librarian's mind was down in the bilgewater).. it stands for Where's the fire, btw (by the way). Seems a hot topic these days is "I saw your nanny" blog...and I can see why it might be a hot topic given our children are our most important resource...and if I had a nanny, I'd want to know if he or she was slacking off on the job much less doing something inappropriate!

Speaking of which...I've done childcare, and it is not an easy job...even when children are "developmentally typical" much less special needs... so if you have a good daycare, or a good nanny -- please be sure to tell them how very much you appreciate them. Or even better, write a letter that will go in their permanent file... and/or give them a gift they can really use... I like to give my son's teachers gift certificates to a local teacher supply store...so many teachers buy things for their classrooms with their own money...why not help them out?


3. Create a blog post about your discoveries on this site. *doing now*

OPTIONAL: If you're up for a challenge, learn how to tag your posts by with Technorati tags so they can join tag searches. Create a post about something. It can be anything you want and add the HTML code to the bottom to tag it as “mdlearn2.” You may also want to consider claiming your blog and creating a watchlist.

*** I claimed my blog..and perhaps once this training exercise is over, I'll link my other blogs to technorati as well. I have a blog I keep for my "Sims2" family as well as another personal blog.

No comments: