Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Thing #13 Tagging and Discover Del.icio.us

Discovery Exercise:

1. View the 12 minute Del.icio.us tutorial to get a good overview of its features.

The video was disabled, so I viewed the alternative article at http://tinyurl.com/ynszc8.

2. Take a look around Del.icio.us using the PLCMCL2 account that was created for the original program exercise at the Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County. Note: In this account you will find lots of resources that have been highlighted or used throughout the course of the Learning 2.0 program.

3. Explore the site options and try clicking on a bookmark that has also been bookmarked by a lot of other users. Can you see the comments they added about this bookmark or the tags that they used to categorize this reference?

Create a blog post about your experience and thoughts about this tool. Can you see the potential of this tool for research assistance? Or just as an easy way to create bookmarks that can be accessed from anywhere?

I'm not so sure I see the potential in this for research assistance.... but definitely see the value in it as for the social aspects and as a way to acess one's bookmarks from anywhere.

I'm interested in quilting so I checked out some sites that others had bookmarked... I may have to go back and mark a few of those sites for myself.
And, of course, I looked to see if anything had been marked under "Pirates".... arr!! (heh heh heh)

I think the value in marking what others have found is that you don't have to "reinvent the wheel". On the other hand looking at what everyone else has looked at can be a negative if you are trying to "think outside the box"....

No comments: