Tuesday, August 28, 2007

#21 Discover some useful tools for locating podcasts

Discovery Exercise:

1. Take a look at one or two of the podcast directories listed and see if you can find a podcast that interests you. See if you can find some interesting library related podcasts here like book review podcasts or library news.
Library news podcasts seemed very area specific. Book reviews, though sounded more my speed. Nancy Perl has a book review podcast I thought I might subscribe to, and there was another one devoted to children's books called "book voyages" that seemed intriguing.

2. Add the RSS feed for a podcast to your Bloglines account.
Done

3. Create a blog post about your discovery process. What did you find that was most useful here?

I think the most useful thing was simply to know there were resources available to search for podcasts. I have several personal intrests -- such as quilting...and was surprised to find podcasts on this topic! There are even podcasts to help someone learn another language - like itallian, or mandarin chinese! Isn't that too cool? On a customer service note, that might be something to suggest to a customer for more practice -- although the library has an excellent resource in Rosetta Stone.


The optional item was to create a podcast yourself, but i'm not quite sure I'm ready for that. I have the capability for doing it at home, but also I don't know that many others outside of those that work in my branch (and a few good friends) know who the "pirate-librarian" is. :)

No comments: