Tuesday, August 28, 2007

#22 Learn About Audiobooks

Discovery Exercise:

1. Establish an Overdrive or NetLibrary account and explore the titles. If you don't have access to these, see what you can find in Project Gutenberg.

I had established an overdrive account when our library system first got it. I had never really used it though, having found many things I wanted to check out in our physical collection. Techie or not, I saw no need to download things I was able to check out physically. That, and I'm admittedly a little odd in that I normally don't listen to books I haven't already read before. I like having read them "knowing" what's going to happen...but then there is a new thrill in hearing a narrator and experiencing the book in a slightly different way.

There was only one time (so far) I listened to a book I had not yet physically held in my hand and read. I listened to "Redwall" by Brian Jacques as I commuted to and from work. Well, my commute is normally fairly short, so there was one point where I had to park the car and stop the CD...and it was in a suspenseful part. So I grabbed the book off the shelf during my dinner hour and found where I had left off in the audiobook and read ahead. I still listened to the book....but I HAD to know what was going to happen. (I guess this pirate be an impatient scallywag!)

2. Create a blog post about your findings. Did you locate a title that you might want to try out and download?

I found at least two titles I think I want to download and try. The first...if you've been reading this blog, its predictable enough... is .... (wait for it)......
.........................
.........................................
................................................ "Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates"

Surprised? I knew you would be!

The second is "The Adventures of Robin Hood" by Benedict Flynn.

Robin Hood may not be a pirate (no one is perfect)...but he's a swashbuckling hero for sure! YAR!

OPTIONAL: Try downloading a title from one of these. You don’t have to have a portable player to listen to audiobooks, you can also listen to it from a computer.

I think I will try and download one or both of these titles. Like many Americans today, I find myself carrying a bit more ballast in the midships than I care to. (ie, I'm overweight!)....and perhaps I could listen to an audiobook as I walk or ride my exercise bike. Its nice to know there are a few titles out there an adventure loving swabby like me could enjoy! YAR!


**** edited to add *** in addition to Project Guttenburg, a friend directed me to another resource those doing the 23 things might be interested in.....
WOWIO. They have a large library as well, hundreds of titles in all genres, most of them current titles. This is a corporate sponsored website that allows you to download up to five FREE ebooks every day.
That's pretty cool, aye?

No comments: