Thursday, August 23, 2007

Thing#8: Make Life Really Simple with RSS and a News Reader

Still playing catchup. I don't know if I'll finish on time to earn CEU's or any "prizes"....but that's really not why I'm doing this. I'm doing it because I am interested in technology and want to know about the latest gizmos, even if I don't find them personally useful. It is useful to know what customers are talking about... or maybe even that resource X could be useful to them.

Discovery Exercise:

1. Follow the discovery resources above to learn more about RSS and newsreaders.
a. RSS in plain english (online video)
Comments: I liked the guy's voice in the video...easy to understand what he was saying..and I didn't feel like he spoke to slowly or too quickly. Plus I thought it was hysterical when he did the thumbs down and said "booo" to the old way of reading the web, and "yeaah!" for the 'new' way. Who said informative items had to be boring? ;)

b.
CNET Video: RSS – Feel the Need for Feeds
Comments: Clear video. Good explanation.

c. Feed Me: A gentle introduction to Internet feeds
Comments: No sound (which after the two videos and the podcast, I was almost expecting.) But that was nice. I also liked being able to 'pace' it to my own speed by clicking on "next" when I was ready.

d. Using Bloglines Tutorial (how to keep up with dozens of blogs everyday)
****

2. Create a free online Bloglines account for yourself and subscribe to at least 10 newsfeeds to your reader. See Using Bloglines Tutorial steps 1-3 for instructions.
Done and done! As there are a few fun things I like to check -- online comics like "Unshelved" and "Kevin and Kell" it will be nice to have them in one place along side of my professional reading. A little laughter and levity when something stressful happens can mean the world when one works with the public. After all, I might be a pirate librarian...but I think my supervisor and branch manager might frown on me ordering a customer to "walk the plank".

3. Create a post in your blog about this exercise. Optional: If you're up to the challenge, you can provide the URL address to your public bloglines account (find where to find this below)

I have to say, I found this to be REALLY useful...both professionally and personally. I don't quite feel daring enough to post my public bloglines account simply because I do have things from "both sides" of my life... and I will not leave myself open to being accused of looking at personal stuff while online at work. Unless, of course, I am on 'my own time' (breaks and meal times).

No comments: